Indian Gangrape Case Verdict: All Four Convicts get Death Penalty
“Death to all,” Additional Sessions Judge Yogesh Khanna said while delivering the verdict in the case that had evoked nationwide outrage and led the government to bring in a stringent anti-rape law. Also Read: A look at capital punishment in India
“Besides discussing others offences, I straightaway come to section 302 (murder) of IPC. This falls under inhuman nature of the convicts and the gravity of offence they committed cannot be tolerated. Death sentence is given to all the four convicts,” he said.
The offence committed by Mukesh (26), Akshay Thakur (28),
Pawan Gupta (19) and Vinay Sharma (20) falls under the rarest of rare category warranting capital punishment, the judge said.
The four were convicted by the court on September 10 for the gangrape and murder of a 23-year-old paramedic student.
“Court cannot turn a blind eye to such a gruesome act,” the judge said, while handing down the maximum punishment.
He said, “When crime against women is rising on day-to-day basis, so, at this point in time court cannot keep its eye shut.”
“There should be exemplary punishment in view of the
unparallelled brutality with which the victim was gangraped and murdered, as the case falls under the rarest of rare category. All be given death,” the court said while reading out a portion of the order.
- Delhi gangrape: Much awaited order on Friday (thehindu.com)
- Delhi gangrape-murder case: Will all four convicts get death? (ibnlive.in.com)
- Delhi gangrape case sentencing on Friday (thehindu.com)
- Police seeks death penalty for Delhi gang-rape convicts (dnaindia.com)
- Delhi Gangrape All 4 Convicted (presskart.wordpress.com)
- Court to pronounce quantum of punishment in Delhi gangrape case on Friday (dnaindia.com)
- Delhi gangrape: Sentencing today, braveheart’s parents demand death (ibnlive.in.com)
- Delhi gangrape-murder case: Court sentences all four convicts to death (ibnlive.in.com)
- #5 Delhi Gangrape Verdict – Is Death Penalty too less? (jesalkapadia.wordpress.com)
- Delhi gang-rape: Police want death, convicts beg for mercy (dnaindia.com)