EU condemns mistreatment of migrants by Italy (a Christian Nation so called)
The European Union has condemned the appalling conditions of immigration centers in Italy, following a video showing inhumane treatment of its inhabitants.
The EU Home Affairs Commissioner Cecilia Malmstroem threatened to take legal action against Italy on Wednesday, following a cellphone video showing the degrading treatment of migrants arriving from Africa at a center on the island of Lampedusa.
The footage shows migrants being lined up in an open-air and crowded country yard and forced to take off all clothing in mixed company to be hosed down in cold weather.
Malmstroem said the EU was investigating Italian practices in detention centers for possible breaches of the rules on granting asylum.
“The images we have seen from the detention center in Lampedusa are appalling and unacceptable,” she said, adding, “We will not hesitate to launch an infringement procedure to make sure EU standards and obligations are fully respected.”
The EU commissioner cautioned Italy that receiving migrants should be done in decent conditions.
Giusi Nicolini, the mayor of Lampedusa, said the footage made the center look like a “concentration camp” and that Italy should be “ashamed” of its treatment of migrants.
This is while the contractor heading the camp on behalf of the Interior Ministry has rejected the accusations.
The Italian Prime Minister Enrico Letta has promised to investigate the incident and punish anyone held responsible for the alleged crimes.
EU leaders are scheduled to discuss migration at a summit in Brussels on Thursday and Friday, following reports of the high number of migrants drowning in recent months.
Lampedusa is a primary entry point for tens of thousands of undocumented migrants sailing from Africa. The island is Italy’s southernmost territory and is located about midway between Sicily and Tunisia.
During the past 20 years, an estimated 17,000 to 20,000 migrants have perished during the dangerous crossing, as they travel on badly overcrowded fishing vessels or rubber boats.
- Italy, EU, investigate treatment of migrants on Lampedusa after video – CNN (edition.cnn.com)
- Migrants ‘hosed down’ on Lampedusa (edition.cnn.com)
- Italy: Images show ‘hosing down’ of migrants (wdsu.com)
- Italy: Images show ‘hosing down’ of migrants (wyff4.com)
- Italy’s ‘appalling’ treatment of migrants revealed in Lampedusa footage (telegraph.co.uk)
- Italy migrant video sparks European outrage (dailystar.com.lb)
- EU threatens Italy with legal action over migrants (timesofmalta.com)
- Italy Migrants Face ‘Appalling’ Treatment (news.sky.com)
- EU condemns migrants abuse by Italy (therebel.org)
- EU in aid threat over Italy migrant treatment (thelocal.it)